Notre Dame Returns 12.2% in Fiscal 2018

The $13 billion endowment pool has demolished the 20-year benchmark.

The University of Notre Dame’s endowment pool returned 12.2% in fiscal 2018, reports Scott Malpass, its vice president and chief investment officer.

The endowment grew to $13.1 billion, up 11% from the previous year’s $11.8 billion achievement.

Last year, Notre Dame returned 12.6%. No benchmark was provided for this or any previous fiscal years.

The university has returned an annual 10.3% over the past 20 years. A typical 60/40 blend of stocks and bonds usually nets 5.7% each year during the same timeframe.

Notre Dame’s actively managed investment program has allowed the endowment to return an excess of $8 billion over the 20-year duration.

The endowment allocates 40% of its portfolio to stocks (long and short). The remaining 60% is evenly split between private equity and multi-strategy investments, which includes credit funds, energy, and real estate. Notre Dame does not release the returns for individual asset classes.

“I am delighted to see the impact of these returns and strong stewardship on the opportunities they provide for our students and faculty in almost every area of the university,” Malpass said in a statement. He declined to comment.

Tags: , , , ,